Saturday, August 7, 2010

Part 4: All Good Things Must Come to an End


Day #10
Since it's taken me over a year to write this the rest of this may be a little sketchy, tragic I know. My own fault I don't take the time to write it down when it happens! From Bern we went by train down to Geneva. I think I felt most out of place in Switzerland and specifically on this train ride because everyone spoke German and that is one language I definitely can't get any sort of idea what they're saying. There was a cute family on the train and the kids kept trying to talk to us and all we could do was smile, pretty sure they thought we were idiots! From Geneva we went by bus over into France to Annecy where Tash had been going to school for the summer. Gorgeous town on a lake. Got ice cream at Tash's favorite place then went and sat by the lake and wandered through town before packing up Tash's room to head to Paris the next day then home!

 Day #11
Train up to Paris took most of the morning. Can I just say traveling through Paris with huge luggage to get Tash's stuff home was nearly a nightmare. All I'm going to say. After dropping off luggage we took off for more Paris sight seeing. Started off going to the Musee d'Orsay, had to hit up one museum while in Paris and didn't have the time to tackle the Louvre so we settled on Tash's favorite, mainly impressionist, Monet, Manet, Renoir, De Gas, and Van Gogh.
Then we crossed the Seine over to the Louvre and walked around the grounds then head down the Champs-Elysees which is essentially a schwanky street filled with shops and ends with the Arch de Triumph, the biggest mess of a roundabout you'll ever see but pretty cool. And it happened to be the 4th of July and they did a little military tribute under the Arch. And why not end the day and the trip with a performance of Les Miserables? In Paris. Yes that cool. I'll be honest I'm not the biggest fan of listening to broadway music, couldn't stand Wicked when all the music came out probably because I didn't know the story and was honestly turned off from getting to know the story by that dang song 'Popular', anyway, seen it twice now and absolutely love it. Not that I dislike the music to Les Mes but clearly didn't appreciate it until I saw it in person and love loved it! And it wasn't in French! Not sure if I was the only one surprised by that or not. 

Day #12 
Time to go home. Paris airport=nightmare. I swear I had to show my passport 5 different times just in case I got past the last guy since it is a little disorganized. Stood in the security line for for-ev-er to the point that they eventually called for anyone on my flight to get their butts to the front of the line or you'll miss your flight. Did happen to meet a missionary couple on their way home, recognized their Murdock Travel bags, and another two guys who'd been visiting one of their parents who are mission presidents in Sweden or Norway, can't remember. Don't worry that they were all on their way to Salt Lake as well but got on the non-stop flight, thanks for rubbing it in. So finally, after showing my passport one more time, getting patted down through security, did I mention that happened when we flew to Venice as well, anyway, I ran, literally, down the terminal to my gate, plane was already boarding and as they scan my ticket they tell me to wait and go talk to the ladies at the desk. I'm thinking they're not going to let me go home. Apparently there was a guy wanting to go to Cincinnati where my layover was so they wanted to move me from this flight to the non-stop flight to Salt Lake, would I be ok with that? Um hello, sign me up! Only down side, instead of my window seat I got one smack in the middle of two guys. Friendly guys but didn't really want to ask either of them if I could sleep on their shoulder. So it turned out my new flight leaves from the opposite end of the terminal and they're waiting for me there too so I start running to the other end while calling my mom (yes it was 2 in the morning at home i'm pretty sure) to let her know that I'm going to be in sooner but I don't know when and I don't know my flight number and I'm running and I'm sorry to wake you but can you find it all out and pick me up on time? My mom's the best, there and waiting when I landed.

No comments: